The SIGN conference has provided a platform for thought-provoking gatherings for sharing research results and experience among sign-language scholars from all over the world. It is the only conference in the world using only signed languages, with all presentations delivered either in International Sign or the sign language used in the hosting country. Presentations deal with issues of deaf individuals, their culture and language.
Objectives of the SIGN conference include:
- expanding the international network of linguists dealing with sign linguistics and Deaf studies; fostering international cooperation,
- providing a venue for international encounters between experienced scholars and beginner researchers in the field of sign languages and Deaf studies,
- focusing on the topics related to the country hosting the conference,
- ensuring full participation for Deaf attendants,
- combining typically academic presentations with other kinds of creative activities, such as workshops.